Pear, Pecan Nut and Kale Salad with Dalewood Boland™ Shavings
- 3 ripe Forelle pears
- 50g Sugar
- 200ml water
- 200ml white wine
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 sprig thyme
- +- 50g grated Dalewood Boland™ cheese
- 50ml toasted chopped unsalted pecan nuts
- 20g Dijon mustard
- 25g red wine vinegar
- 10g honey
- 200 ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- +- 50 g shavings of Dalewood Boland™ cheese
- +- 6 toasted unsalted pecan nuts chopped
- A small handful of curly kale per person, broken into small florets, or roughly chopped
To poach the pears:
- Make a syrup by bringing to boil the sugar, water, white wine, cloves, star anise & sprig of thyme in a saucepan.
- Peel the pears & poach in the above syrup until soft (but not mushy).
- Set aside to cool.
To make the dressing:
- Blitz together the grated Dalewood Boland™ cheese, chopped pecan nuts, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, honey & olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the kale in a bowl with a generous amount of dressing, but keep some for the pears.
- Slice the pear evenly and arrange on a platter. Drizzle with the remining dressing.
- Place kale onto sliced pear.
- Add toasted pecan nuts and shavings of Dalewood Boland™ cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Garth Bedford, The Kraal Restaurant
Photo by Ian du Toit